What´s got into you?
What´s got into you?

What´s got into you?

  • English Only
  • English Only
  • Thread starter sambistapt
  • Start date Jun 14, 2008
S

sambistapt

Senior Member
RIO DE JANEIRO
Brazilian Portuguese
  • Jun 14, 2008
  • #1
Hello amigos!

What´s got into you Sam?

What does it mean? What´s wrong with you?

Thanks,

SamWhat'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
 
  • cyberpedant

    Senior Member
    North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    • Jun 14, 2008
    • #2
    What's bothering you?
     
    • What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
    Reactions: Silver
    E

    emma42

    Senior Member
    North East USA
    British English
    • Jun 14, 2008
    • #3
    It could mean any of a number of things, depending on context. What is the context? What is Sam doing? Why is his friend worried?
     
    F

    freshfrost

    Member
    English - US & UK
    • Jun 14, 2008
    • #4
    "What's got into you?" is normally addressed to a person who is behaving out of character, i.e. differently from their usual personalities. It is an exclamation of surprise at the unexpected behaviour, and can also communicate worry, dismay, annoyance, etc. depending on the context.

    Please also note that it contains poor grammar and is therefore only suitable in colloquial settings. The grammatically correct phrase would be, "What has gotten into you?".
     
    • What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
    Reactions: Silver
    E

    emma42

    Senior Member
    North East USA
    British English
    • Jun 15, 2008
    • #5
    The grammar is fine in British English.
     

    nichec

    Senior Member
    Chinese(Taiwan)
    • Jun 15, 2008
    • #6
    sambistapt said:
    Hello amigos!

    What´s got into you Sam?

    What does it mean? What´s wrong with you?

    Thanks,

    SamWhat'S Gotten Into You Là Gì

    Sam, you didn't sign your name and put a cool face beside it in the end of your post today, what's gotten into you?

    You are welcome,

    nichec What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì

    What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
     

    panjandrum

    Senior Member
    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    • Jun 15, 2008
    • #7
    freshfrost said:
    "What's got into you?" is normally addressed to a person who is behaving out of character, i.e. differently from their usual personalities. It is an exclamation of surprise at the unexpected behaviour, and can also communicate worry, dismay, annoyance, etc. depending on the context.

    Please also note that it contains poor grammar and is therefore only suitable in colloquial settings. The grammatically correct phrase would be, "What has gotten into you?".
    I agree with all of the above except the bit at the end. Surely there is no grammatical lapse, unless you consider contractions to be "poor grammar".
    Here, "what's" is a contraction of "what has".
     
    • What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
    Reactions: Silver

    Ashraful Haque

    Senior Member
    Bengali
    • Nov 26, 2019
    • #8
    How do I say it when explaining something in the past.
    A friend had lost his memory last night, he's okay now but we think he was just playing a joke on us. Can I say:
    "I don't know what HAD gotten into him."
     

    sound shift

    Senior Member
    Derby (central England)
    English - England
    • Nov 26, 2019
    • #9
    Ashraful Haque said:
    Can I say:
    "I don't know what HAD gotten into him."
    Yes, you can.
     
    • What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì
    Reactions: Silver

    Ashraful Haque

    Senior Member
    Bengali
    • Nov 26, 2019
    • #10
    sound shift said:
    Yes, you can.
    Thank you very much.
     
    You must log in or register to reply here.
    • English Only
    • English Only

    Xem thêm các kết quả về What'S Gotten Into You Là Gì

    Nguồn : forum.wordreference.com